Tuesday, March 27, 2012

French Onion Soup

Do you crave soup on a cold spring day?

French Onion Soup

I just recently returned home to Toronto after 2 weeks in the sunshine state.  Florida was so nice and warm.  Lots of wind, but that's just how I like it on the beach.  I got a fabulous tan without sweating!

While away, the weather at home was incredible.  It even got as high as 28C.  Hot! Hot! Hot! is all I heard.  Since returning home, the weather is the same as when I left. Cold! Cold! Cold!

Now that I'm back home, it's freezing and it's time to cook again, however, I haven't gone grocery shopping yet.  What can I make with the bag of potatoes and onions in my cellar?  French onion soup.  I've even got Ace crackers in the pantry and some Swiss Emmenthal Cheese in the refrigerator which is a staple in our home.

This soup can also be made with Gruyere Cheese.



Ingredients:
15 Onions
5 Potatoes
Salt & Pepper
Swiss Emmenthal or Gruyerre Cheese

1.  Quarter 15 onions.
2.  Quarter 5 potatoes.
3.  Combine the onions and potatoes into a pot full of water and boil.
4.  Once the potatoes and onions are cooked, turn off stove.
5.  Pure with a hand blender

Serving Suggestion:
Place your favourite dried bread at the bottom of a soup bowl  (ACE bakery makes a good variety).  Pour in the soup pure and then add your favourite grated cheese.  (Emmenthal or Gruyerre).

3 comments:

  1. So good when it is cold outside. I love French Onion soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great it is a recipe I have never seen of yours!! YUMMYYYYYY I will be making this this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks very warming! Wish I was up there with ya, instead of down here in the heat! Isn't Florida beautiful? However, Canada is too!

    ReplyDelete