Friday, March 30, 2012

Goat Risotto


Goat Risotto

A trip to Kosta's Meat Market in Scarborough, Ontario to order our 45 pound lamb for Easter and the next thing you know, we're buying a leg from a Goat.

My husband had the butcher debone the meat and I had the pleasure of cutting the meat into cubes and removing the most fat possible, leaving only 1/3 of the leg as edible.  (I did not enjoy this task)!

I've never cooked goat before and had to come up with something to do with this meat.  I must say that I was very pleased with the outcome and have made this recipe again, making a slight change.  I  used fresh tomatoes instead of the Passat and it was much tastier.  

I will definitely be cooking goat again and will overlook the task of cleaning up the fat.  This meat is so tender and full of taste!



Ingredients:
3 lbs Goat 
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 Jar Passata
Risotto
Salt & Pepper


  1. Trim the fat on the goat and cut into cubes.  Brown the meat in 1/2 cup olive oil.
  2. Mix in 1 jar of Passata and 1 to 2 tsp sugar.  (substitute Passata with 5 fresh tomatoes, cubed).
  3. Cover pot and allow to simmer on low for about 1 hour.  (This will tenderize the meat).
  4. Add desired amount of risotto per packaging direction. (You may need to add water to the pot for the risotto).   Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes with the risotto.  The risotto will absorb all the liquid and will appear sticky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment